If you liked the design of the slatted ceiling, then you should carefully study all its numerous options in order to choose the one that suits your requirements. Different types of slatted ceilings are distinguished by construction, material, execution of slats and design. All of them have their own features and specifics of application. It is difficult to say which rail ceiling is better, since different solutions are used for each operating condition.
According to the design, open and closed slatted ceilings are distinguished.
- The open type of slatted ceiling is characterized by the fact that the slats are installed at some distance from each other. This gap can reach 16 mm, in rooms with a high ceiling it is practically invisible. This decision is due to the need to ensure sufficient ventilation and exclude the formation of condensate on the back wall of the ceiling structure. Open type rails have rounded ends.
- The closed type of slatted ceiling forms a continuous surface with seams between the panels. Rails have special “tongues” that allow you to fasten them close to each other without gaps. The size of the panels is 75, 100, 150 mm.
- Rails with inserts. This is one of the types of open slatted ceiling. In this case, the gaps are closed with special decorative inserts – layouts. This option is the most popular, as it provides more space for imagination and design solutions.
- A gapless slatted ceiling allows you to get the smoothest possible surface. Since it is mounted from the rails, the gaps are still present, but thanks to the special fastening, their size is insignificant. Mounted using traverses.
According to the material
The following material is used for the slatted ceiling:
Aluminum suspended rail ceiling is the most popular option. This is due to a large number of advantages that have absorbed the positive qualities of metal and plastic. Aluminum perfectly tolerates high humidity, temperature changes, is not afraid of corrosion, is strong and light. Also, this material does not ignite and does not support combustion. If you need to install a suspended ceiling in the bathroom or in the kitchen, then the aluminum version is what you need.
The steel type is used mainly in production, in warehouses. Steel is strong, has high noise insulation qualities, but does not tolerate high humidity well, rusts over time, so it is not suitable for a wet bathroom.
Plastic suspended ceiling is the optimal solution when you need to get good quality at an acceptable price. The plastic is universal, can be used without loss of properties in a wet environment, has an excellent appearance. However, it belongs to fire-hazardous materials, as we support combustion. It is also negatively affected by high temperatures – the plastic fades and burns, so it is irrational to put it in the kitchen above the stove.
According to the performance of rails
Types of slatted ceilings should also be distinguished according to the structural features of the slats used. They may differ in shape and presence of perforation.
The shape of the rails can be made in German or Italian design:
- German design is characterized by clearly defined rectangular corners. Such rails look good in combination with inter-rail inserts. They help to get a fairly even ceiling surface.
- Italian design is characterized by rounded edges. It can be installed with closed joints, forming hollow hollows at the joint, or with open ones with or without a layout.
In addition, there are many other design versions of rails. They can have a cubic, lamellar, V-shaped shape. If there are height differences on the ceiling, curved ceiling systems made of radius rails of Italian design are used.
Rails can be:
Rails with perforation are chosen for rooms with poor ventilation, in this case there is no need to bring ventilation pipes below the ceiling level, which does not always correspond to the interior design. It should be noted that it is not recommended to install a perforated slatted ceiling in the kitchen, especially with a gas stove, because the holes will quickly become clogged with soot, and it will be a rather difficult and time-consuming task to clean them properly.
Behind the design
Rails can be matte, glossy, mirror. They can be any color, and if desired, the manufacturer can even apply a picture on them or make rails and inserts of different colors. Thanks to this, you can not only emphasize the interior design, but also hide some flaws.
Thus, glossy and mirror types visually increase the space, and in combination with the right lighting, you can achieve the effect of weightlessness. This option looks great in interiors of modern styles, especially if rails and inserts painted in metallic shades are used.
Matte slatted ceilings, in turn, are very beautiful in spacious rooms with an interior made in classic styles. By adding muted diffused light, you can emphasize the solidity of the environment.