The LED emergency lighting lamp with a battery performs the function of additional lighting, the need for which arises when the main light source fails. Where to put and how? Why LEDs and what are their main differences from other light sources? Let’s consider in more detail.
In the event of an emergency at work, in the office and in other premises, the issue of the safety of all employees staying in the building is extremely important. This circumstance requires equipping such public places with emergency lighting systems, which are turned on automatically, immediately after the failure of the main light source.
In addition, such alternative lighting is not only a replacement, but also auxiliary lighting in emergency situations. Thanks to it, evacuation from the premises is carried out without additional difficulties and problems.
Recently, emergency LED lights with a battery, which are widely represented on the market, are very popular. This demand is due to the use of LED technology, which has an almost indefinite service life.
They consist of a standard case, LEDs, polycarbonate or glass that diffuses light, as well as a battery and a power supply unit that switches the light to the backup line. The design of the lamp is a kind of matrix on top of which LED elements are located. These matrices are directly connected to the battery connected to the power supply unit. This power supply unit is connected to a special device responsible for switching from the working line to the spare line.
The main technical parameters of the LED emergency lamp:
- The time of uninterrupted operation of such a lamp is from 2 to 13 hours, while charging the battery is enough for about a day.
- LED lamps are labeled according to the IP protection class, which is responsible for potential resistance to dust and moisture. In emergency LED lamps, this value starts with IP20 – this is the minimum allowable coefficient. The higher this value, the more resistant the lamp to the influence of external factors.
- An equally important indicator is the value of the color temperature, in other words, the brightness of the light stream. This value is indicated directly on the package of the lamp, so it is not difficult to navigate in this. For example, for public places, this indicator should not be more than 4000 K.
Emergency lights can be divided into two types according to their functional purpose:
- Evacuation emergency lighting. Such lamps help in the evacuation of people from dangerous places, and are installed near elevators, on the stairwell, at all doors of the main and evacuation exits, near fire shields, etc.
- Emergency security lighting. In this case, the lights are turned on when the main light source is turned off to help complete the workflow. As a rule, the battery lasts for 3 hours.
Fluorescent lamps, incandescent lamps, halogen lamps and others are used in emergency lighting systems. But managers of various enterprises increasingly prefer emergency LED lamps, which is not accidental.
The main differences from other sources of emergency lighting:
- LED lamps are environmentally friendly, unlike, for example, lamps with fluorescent lamps, because they contain mercury. In itself, this does not pose a danger, but in case of damage to such a lamp, mercury vapor will quickly enter the air space of the room.
- Lamps with LEDs do not have the property of heating, unlike incandescent lamps, in which the tungsten spiral produces strong thermal radiation.
- Emergency LED lights are highly energy efficient, consuming only about 5 W, while fluorescent lamps consume at least 11 W.
- Emergency LED lights have a longer service life, which exceeds analogs by more than 10 times.
On average, the service life of LED lamps is about 100,000 hours.
- Unlike fluorescent and incandescent lamps, LED lamps have several light sources – LEDs. And if one of them fails, the lighting will not stop.
As we can see, compared to other sources of emergency lighting, LED lamps clearly win. However, they also have one drawback – their price is too high, which significantly exceeds the above-mentioned analogues.
Features of choosing a lamp for emergency lighting
Choosing an LED lamp for emergency lighting, like any other choice, is associated with certain difficulties that a person who does not have the necessary information may face.
To avoid such problems, you need to know what to pay attention to when buying lamps:
- Much attention should be paid to manufacturers of LED lamps. Today, there are many Chinese analogues on the market, the quality of which is not at the best level, however, their price is significantly lower than that of lamps from well-known companies. In this case, excessive savings can play a bad joke, because such lamps, as a rule, have a short service life.
- It is necessary to pay attention to the time of autonomous operation of the lamp, that is, without connection to electricity. The optimal value is considered to be 3 hours of continuous work.
- It is important to pay attention to the design of LED lamps, that is, the product’s resistance to various environmental factors, such as dust, dirt or moisture. Emergency LED lights must have an IP index of at least 20, and for larger enterprises this indicator should be approximately 65. Where the first number indicates the index of resistance to dust and dirt, and the second – resistance to excess moisture.
- Based on the parameters of a specific room, you need to choose the appropriate method of attaching the lamps to the surface. They can be overhead, suspended, and wall-mounted lamps.
- You also need to pay attention to the color indicators of the lamps, which, again, depend on the requirements of a specific room.
For small objects, the use of excessively powerful emergency lamps is impractical, smaller values are sufficient.
- You need to pay attention to the declared service life of the LED lamp, it is usually lower in cheaper models.
Knowing these short recommendations, you can choose a high-quality LED lamp that will not let you down in an emergency or emergency situation.
Overview of the main manufacturers
There are many manufacturers of LED lamps for emergency lighting that compete with each other for the leading positions in this market segment. In principle, it is hardly possible to give a clear advantage to someone, but it is still worth noting the main manufacturers.
For example, the LYRA company produces emergency LED lamps of the premium segment, which have an attractive design. Such lamps can be installed on the wall and ceiling in various industrial and office premises, as well as in various shopping centers.
All models of LED lamps produced by LYRA have a degree of protection IP42 and IP65, which is a very high indicator.
Another no less well-known manufacturer is the MARS company, which produces LED lamps of various configurations and technical characteristics. A distinctive feature of products from this brand is the conciseness of forms and design, as well as high performance of autonomous operation.
MARS lamps have a recognition distance of 20m, which is quite enough for small rooms. The body and diffuser of the lamp are made of polycarbonate.